Saturday, September 6, 2008

LESSON 10 Online applications or how i took a left turn and ended up somewhere unexpected


So how does one go from innocently exploring online applications, specifically google.docs, to Sarah Palin?
Here's how:  I am having trouble doing anything constructive in google.docs.  I don't seem to be able to create an online doc; every time i try to upload a doc, i get a msg that google can't support .docx files.  Okay, i know it's me--they are simple Word documents that i'm trying to play with but i haven't figured out how i am being thwarted.   So.....i take a moment to visit our list of summer blog participants.  Basically, i want to feel that i am not in this alone.  From there i remember my RSS feeds and decide to read a couple of blogs that i've earmarked. One i like a lot is the one by jessamyn west and in it she refers to the story of sarah palin and censorship.  I read an email this week by an educator who lives in Wasilla who corroborated the story--sarah p. tried to fire a librarian because she wouldn't agree to remove some books from the shelf.  The author of the email was one of about 100 people who rallied to try to keep the librarian on the job.
Just wanted to pass this on for what it is worth.  
So, just another example of how you can start out in one direction and end up somewhere completely different, thanks to the wonderful web.

1 comment:

Kelly Ahlfeld said...

Hi!

Liked your comment about how to end up in one web place by starting in another. I used to think of myself as a very linear person, but on the web, it is never so!

Also, I too have had trouble with Google docs, and it is not all us. I love Google and think they do great work, but I have had trouble using their version of power point, as well as converting docs to them. It's not seamless even when you start with a google doc. It is really handing for sharing and working together.

Good luck on your journey!

Kelly A.